Thursday, June 28, 2012

The "Magic" of the Draft


I’ve never been someone who gets excited for the draft. In my eyes it’s been nothing more than graduation. Names being called and people you don’t know walking across the stage. Maybe that’s my fault for not paying more attention to college basketball. It also has something to do with growing up as a Magic fan and always being right in the middle as a mediocre team. We would draft a guy who would inevitably do nothing and then he would be gone or worse he would be good and then we would trade him away after his rookie season (bye Mike Miller).  Then there was 2005 drafting Fran Vazquez. The Magic were going to put him next to Dwight Howard, whom we had just drafted the year before, and we would have a dominating front court. Well Vazquez has yet to play a game in a Magic uniform. He hasn’t even played a minute in the NBA because he decided to stay in Europe. We still have his draft rights and I know the minute the Magic trade them Vazquez will come to the NBA and be the next Pau Gasol or Dirk Nowitzki.
So with the upcoming draft sitting at 19 and Dwight Howard wanting to bolt I should be pessimistic right? Not at all. In fact this is the most excited I’ve ever been for the draft. I discovered something at the trade deadline this year called Daily Dime Live. A bunch of people who obsess over basketball and talk about it all the time and I became hooked. They’ve shown me the fun of the draft and now I’m really excited for a night that’s probably not going to have anything big happen (Maybe a Dwight Howard trade!?) but I digress. Tonight rather than be pessimistic about the future of the Magic I’m going to laugh along with others on twitter and DDL as the Cavs and Kings potentially ruin everything and the Rockets try to come up with some crazy deal to get Dwight Howard. Should be fun and I hope to see you all there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment