Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Disappointment and Anger with Dwight Howard

    (Yes I know that the blackmail claims have been dismissed by Dwight and that's it very possible that part wasn't true but this post isn't about the blackmail it's about my frustration and disappointment with Dwight)

Dwight...how could you do this to the Magic? How could you do this to your fans? How could you do this to me? This post isn't going to be a rant about how you're a loser for wanting to leave or about how you can't win one on your own. I'm not going to give you the Lebron treatment. I'm going to say why I'm disappointed with you and why I'm angry at you. I remember the happiness I had when the Magic picked you. I remember the joy of experiencing the Finals in 2009. I remember the anger of losing in the first round of 2011. Of course I also remember the first time you requested a trade...

I'm disappointed in Dwight because he didn't want to stay with the Magic. He wants to go somewhere with bigger lights and bigger cities. It has nothing to do with popularity, or "loyalty", or even money. It's just what you want to do. As much as it disappoints me that you want to leave I can understand it to an extent. It's your career and you can do what you wish with it. But the way you're choosing to reach this goal fills me with anger.

Blackmail. According to Webster's online dictionary Blackmail is an extortion or "coercion by threats especially of public exposure or criminal prosecution" So the Magic apparently "blackmailed" you by telling you that if you didn't opt in to your contract they would trade you somewhere else besides the Nets. Dwight this isn't blackmail. It's the NBA. It is the goal of the team to make a trade that is in the best interest of the team. I'm sorry if this doesn't help you get what you want but tough luck that's the way it goes. The Magic did not blackmail you. You signed the opt in that you didn't have to sign and then you went to a press conference and talked about loyalty. Loyalty? The same loyalty that you showed your coach when you demanded that he be fired? The same loyalty you showed Jameer as you threw him under the bus? The same loyalty that very likely lead to Otis Smith's resignation? Then you know what the team did? They fired that coach, the best coach in team history, Stan Van Gundy, got fired because you wanted it and then you accuse this team of blackmailing you? This fills me with all kinds of anger. So please Dwight, go. While you leave I have some advice for you. Fire your PR team. You have done nothing right in this situation and you have come off like an overgrown baby. I hope you learn from this experience. I hope you learn what the real meaning of blackmail is as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment